In lesson 5 we look at sound, the ear and how the brain hears pitch, timbre and spatial locations of sound sources.
Preparation before the lecture:
- Watch "Basics Of Auditory System Crash Course"
This video comes from the "CrashCourse" youtube channel. Note: He talks VERY FAST. You can slow down the play back speed if needed.
Also note: the lecturer over-simplifies the notion of pitch. We will talk about more interesting aspects of pitch in class.
Click the button to show the "hearing and balance crash course" video clip.
- Watch "Modes of Vibration Caught on Camera" on auditoryneuroscience.com
- Go to "Spectrogram" on auditoryneuroscience.com. Enable the microphone, make some noises and watch the spectrograms. Try speech. Try singing or whistling at different pitches.
- Go to "Missing fundamentals, Periodicity and Pitch" on auditoryneuroscience.com. Play with the demos as per instructions.
- Look at "Formants and harmonics in spoken vowels" on auditoryneuroscience.com.
Click on the buttons to see videos of the Semester A 2018 lecture.
- Lecture slides (pdf)