In lesson 5 we look at sound, the ear and how the brain hears pitch, timbre and spatial locations of sound sources.
Preparation before the lecture:
- Watch "Basics Of Auditory System Crash Course" (Only until 7 minutes and 40 seconds, ‘7:40’ into the video.
Note: He talks VERY FAST. It will be easier if you put closed captions on and turn it on and off to slow down.
Also note: the lecturer over-simplifies the notion of pitch. We will talk about more interesting aspects of pitch in class.
- Watch this video on Sound Spectra
- Watch "Modes of Vibration Caught on Camera" on auditoryneuroscience.com
- Go to "Spectrogram" on auditoryneuroscience.com. Enable the microphone, make some noises and watch the spectrograms. Try speech. Try singing or whistling at different pitches.
- Go to "Pitch matching" on auditoryneuroscience.com. Play with the demos as per instructions.
- Go to "Missing fundamentals, Periodicity and Pitch" on auditoryneuroscience.com. Play with the demos as per instructions.
- Look at "Formants and harmonics in spoken vowels" on auditoryneuroscience.com.